The WOOBERG.net Patreon campaign is live! Show your support by contibuting, or contact me about donating your time, writing or artistic skills, or Magic products!
Thanks for your support!
P.S.: I have a special article in the works after having bought Defeat the Hydra, and the other two Theros block Challenge decks. Look for some "best practices" when using those decks vs. different levels of pre-constructed, limited and constructed Magic decks!
Since 2006 WOOBERG.com/net/whatever has been providing the Magic community with a complete and (mostly) current listing of every known alternate way to play Magic the Gathering.
After 8 years, WOOBERG has started to dwindle, less articles have posted to the site, many formats are in serious need of updating, and there are tons of upgrades I have planned as well.
I am launching a Patreon campaign in the near future to try and raise some funds to reinvigorate WOOBERG and turn it into the MtG resource I know it CAN be, but never actually made it to.
My goals for the campaign are as follows:
- Replace the WOOBERG banner: After all these years, the same banner I used for WOOBERG.com and with images my original graphic designer stole without permission are still partly in use, with terrible photoshop patches from me. I want to either commission or otherwise obtain a legitimate, nice looking banner that will make WOOBERG look more professional.
- Streamline and update all format pages to be workable with the current MtG comp rules and all new card types, sets and mechanics. I also want to supply the name of the inventor of formats, helpful links for each and any other relevant information that could help players looking for info on a MtG variant. This may involve obtaining help via hiring and/or volunteers. I would also like to maintain a Banned & Restricted list for every format that needs one to be maintained and does not already have a ruling body in place to do so.
- Create a Forum: I would love to have a WOOBERG community once again, back in 2008 I lost all of my work on WOOBERG.com when my web guy at the time stopped paying for the domain without informing me. Since then, I have learned how to be my own web guy, but I was never able to recover the WOOBERG.com forums and since they have been gone, every forum I have created has had little to no activity.
- Content and more creators: I would love to have a weekly article rotation like all major Magic websites do, but there is no way I could do this by myself. I'd love to get volunteer writers, but even better, I would be able to pay writers to produce content for WOOBERG.net. I want to have a weekly article for Tribal Wars, 5-Color, EDH, Pauper or Peasant, and a 5th article that rotates through all the less popular variants.
- Other Improvements: WOOBERG's Random format generator and search engine could use some work. Also, I'd like to have a "format of the week" widget on the site. I can think of all manner of little tweaks like this that I'd love for WOOBERG to have, but again, all that development takes time, and time is money!
I know WOOBERG has a store link and a donate link on it already, but the store is just spare promos I have lying around from running events and generates little revenue, and I recently lost the only sponsor I had. Domain hosting costs me money, and I keep the site running for love of the casual MtG community, but if WOOBERG is to be a truly great MtG website changes need to be made. Please consider making a donation to WOOBERG if you use the site as a reference. If you can't make a money donation, there are plenty of writing and other volunteer opportunities. Also, any amount of cards that are donated could be used to run contests to promote the site.
For any of these alternate methods of assistance, contact me using the "Contact" page.
Thanks for your support of WOOBERG, and until next time....
Use YOUR shoes as counters!
I have many things related to game design that I love and currently have 3 places where I post items. I want to try and semi-consolidate them all here so that there is one easy place people can follow to get all of the good ol' fashon Shoe writin' they can handle!.
Starting next week, the new schedule for my writing will tenatively be like this:
Monday: Mad Scientist! MONDAY - I want to try to have a regular feature involving my first published game, and the fun stuff that can and does happen with it. Also, any updates on the revised second printing will go here. These posts will be on the main Shoebox Games Blog. (See below)
Tuesday: Shoebox Games - Something will go up on my gameing/ game design blog.
Wednesday: WOOBERG Wednesday - Something will go up here.
Thursday: Comic Vine - Cool Concepts (where I post lists of cool characters from the Marvel Universe and stories I would like to read (or write) with those characters)
Friday - Radical Resources: Fridays I will link from Shoebox Games to posts on other blogs and sites that could be helpful in game design, interesting to read, or just plain old funny!
I have taken to writing more about games in general on my sister/completely-unrelated-other-site, Shoebox Games. Here is my latest entry for those who may be interested.
Things have been busy lately. Haven't had much time for WOOBERG or Magic at all with 3 birthdays, home buying, work, business trip and more. We did manage to get in a team draft and 2 games with the Un-Cube which I will post about as soon as time allows.
Thanks for reading,
Check out the formats page, we now have a link that randomly generates a format (other than the solitaire variants!)
Now your group can randomly choose which format to play next week (or month or whenever)
Welcome to WOOBERG.net! WOOBERG once again has it's own domain name!
After much shuffling, and many behind the scenes changes, WOOBERG.net returns and with it, the hope of exciting changes. I have a new banner being commissioned with original artwork (of which I am responsible for the concept ...my artistic skills are that of a muse, not so much an actual artist).
Today we have an exciting article to add to the excitement of a new domain name, the final entry into the Unsung Heroes of EDH series that has been running for quite some time now. Also, in celebration of WOOBERG.net and the completion of the Unsung Heroes of EDH Series there is going to be a contest with PRIZES. Stay tunes to learn more.
Onto the last set of legends!
All but one of the 'Z' legends come from Portal 3 Kingdoms. I'm not going to reiterate in each entry how card availability limits the ability to play with all of them, but keep it in mind as I write reviews, because it is somewhat relevant.
Zhang He, Wei General
This dude is a HOUSE! Awesome evasion, CHECK! Pumps all your guys, CHECK!, in one of the best colors for EDH, CHECK!
Zhang He here has nothing but price keeping him down. If you have him, flaunt him!
Zhang Liao, Hero of Hefei
Zhang Liao here...not as awesome. In fact, slightly larger Hippy with no evasion is pretty terrible. This guy MIGHT have seen some play if he were from a different set, but he is still REALLY bad. At least he isn't [card]Gallowbraid[/card] or [card]Jedit Ojanen[/card]
Zhao Zilong, Tiger General
A 3/3 Unblockable general for five mana is never a bad thing. Another minor ability is a bonus, but not worth it's weight really. All-in-all, there are strictly better generals with horsemanship for mono-white, but like I said, unblockable is never bad.
Zhou Yu, Chief Commander
Hooray! [card]Sea Monster[/card] can be my general! Gah, this card is almost funny enough to run, and it is huge, but it doesn't seem like it would ever be the best choice. I'm not even sure you could go mono-blue soldiers...maybe with merfolk...
Zhuge Jin, Wu Strategist
OooOoo, [card]Crafty Pathmage[/card] can be my general TOO?! Not the worst legend in the world, but at least he can make ANY creature unblockable. It is only on your own turn though, so no shenanigans with opponent's creatures.
Zuberi, Golden Feather
I'm honestly supprised here. Not that Zuberi is particularly a good general, just that I figured some griffin lover would have thrown together a tribal deck with ol 'Uber here. Throw in some crazy [card]Griffin Canyon[/card] combo or something and it could do ok. Downside being that most griffins are pretty weak in EDH, but hey, not every deck has to be over 9000.
Rating: C+ (For theme deck use)
Zuo Ci, the Mocking Sage
Man was I mad when this guy and his ilk from P3K got erratta. It would be super awesome if this guy could be targeted just fine, but he could not be chosen by a [card]Clone[/card] or [card]Cytoshape[/card] to be the cloned dude. However, not only was he erratted, but now there are basically no cards in exsistance that still ask an opponent to choose a creature that do not target instead. Making Zuo Ci totally overcosted and worthless. He has an "evasion" ability that NEVER matters, and is a 1/2 hexproof for three mana. Too bad [card]Troll Ascetic[/card] makes this guy look sooooo terrible. Hell, [card]Thrun[/card] can even be your general and is better than this guy.
So here we are, at the dramatic ending of a LONG running series about Magic players' favorite variant format, and to bid it a fond farewell, WOOBERG.net (so, me) is going to have a deck-building contest.
Contestants will be choosing one of the Unsung Heroes of EDH from this series and building a deck around that commander. Players with the coolest deck that is the most fun looking, while still being able to compete with the likes of tier 2 generals ([card]Jenara[/card] for example) will win a 4th Edition [card]Nevinyrral's Disk[/card]!
Not a huge prize, I know, but certainty enough to warrant building a fun deck for EDH next week. (Gimmie a break here, cards are coming from my personal stash, and no matter how awesome I am I still do all the content here for free!)
Decks will be graded on the following criteria:
- Originality: Unique cards and card interactions are what makes playing with Unsung Heroes fun. I don't just want to see [card]Gallowbraid[/card] helming a deck of 60 staples and 40 land just to try and win "points".
- Rating of the General vs Deck Playability: The crappier rating the general got in my articles, the more likely you are to get a higher rating assuming the deck remains playable. Only make [card]Gallowbraid[/card] your general if you plan to cast him AND use him for stuff, which brings me to the next point:
- Focus on the General: The deck needs to display a clear theme that is related to the general. With all the talk of Staples and Goodstuff decks out there I want to see Generals and their armies, not a bunch of steroid pumped dudes lollygagging around where the general happens to be.
Submissions will be due before Christmas (12/25/11) at midnight. That following Wednesday I will be announcing a winner. Send your submissions to me by clicking this link.
Bonus: If you have pictures of yourself playing with the deck, or even winning with it as well as a brief play-by-play of a sweet turn (See the Cool Plays thread at the Commander forums), I will throw in a [card]Lightning Greaves[/card] or [card]Sol Ring[/card] from the commander boxed sets as well as the Disk!
That's all for today, tune in next week for something a little different.
Until next time...
Use YOUR shoes as counters!
WOOBERG now has a section of links to Magic sites that I spend way too much time on. Some are funny, some are EDH and some are just useful.
In case you don't currently follow it, or know, I have started using @shoe_wooberg again on Twitter. Any time an article goes up, new format is added or change is made to the site I will be posing, as well as just some random Magic musings!
I have to admit, I am impressed with New Phyrexia. As many of you already know. The entire set was spoiled online today. Its been a long time since I have been excited about a set on the level I am excited about New Phyrexia. The new mana symbols are super exciting, I love colored artifacts, the planeswalker of that set is even inoffensive because he is a character from Magic's past that is SUPPOSED to be a planeswalker. (I was not a fan of WOTC trying to jam the new planeswalker characters down my throat).
All in all, New Phyrexia will be the first booster box I will have preordered in a long time, but I want to get my hands on two if I can afford it.